I left the house at about 530 and arrived at the bee hive at 6:00. I figured a couple of hours after work would be enough to get the monkey off my back. I didn’t want to have to buy bait and haul around all of my lures so I only brought Excalibur, my 6 wt and a few boxes full of flies. Plus lately I have been challenging myself to only take my fly rod and force myself to learn.
I had not been to the beehive since early spring so I was pretty excited to nail some panfish. The feeder canal looked as shallow as last time I was there but I think this is due to them doing digging upstream last year. I tied on a frog colored panfish popper and went to work.
I popped that sucker around for a good while but had absolutely no takers. I don’t know if I mentioned this in the past but the beehive named itself because there are tons of bees hanging around in that area. I was excited a while back when I found some foam bee patterns to use here. This was my first time using them and I was utterly disappointed. No takers on the bees at all.
Then I went with a royal humpy in orange but there were no takers on that one either. I tied on a march brown because I figured it looked like a mosquito and that brought my first baby bluegill to hand. Not much of a fish but I’ve caught smaller!
Then came a whole collection of flies from cahills, poppers, wooley buggers, wooley worms, Sarges Crappie flies, and san juan worms before catching a small largemouth bass on a foam hopper pattern.
I continued my carousel of flies but for whatever reason they weren’t taking what I was giving them. I ended up packing up at about 8:20 and headed home but not before a cool shot with the car and Excalibur.
Well, I still have a lot of research to do to crack the code on the beehive with the fly. It is a killer spot with the old worm and bobber but with flies, it seems to be a bit harder. Luckily I am up for the challenge.
Total Fish: 1 bluegill + 1 largemouth bass = 2 fish