Monday, June 10, 2013

6/7/13 - Lisbon Slough



So as I discussed last week I am trying to get my buddy Luis into fishing. Although he is into video games and everything else indoors, he has agreed to go fishing with me two weekends in a row. After Last week’s Largemouth surprise while fishing for panfish I figure he was inching closer to becoming a fisherman. 

 Last week we discovered a spot that we now have deemed as “The bee hive.” We call it the bee hive because there are tons of bees around that area but we don’t mess with them so they don’t mess with us. The ticks are another story!

 We arrived at spot #1 at Lisbon slough at around 5 pm, the temperature was about 100 but we were sitting in the shade so it was no problem. We had nightcrawlers on two different set-ups.  I set up my buddy Luis with a weighted bobber and a 1 ft leader. I had a slip bobber rig, both of us were using night crawlers as bait. 

We hit spot number one and I had a single bite. After an hour and a half of nothing we decided to move to the bee hive. Sure enough I had a few take downs on my first few casts. First fish of the day was a tiny 5 inch bass. Cute at best. Second fish was a small bluegill, a bit bigger than the bass.  

After a while I hooked into my first nice size crappie of the day, my buddy Luis caught the next. After a while we realized we were down to only two worms so I started cutting them in half. I gave my buddy half a worm and decided to use a lipless crank instead. As I was tying that on, I hear him cast and a few seconds later I hear, “oh, man!” and line peeling. I look over and his pole is bent and something is peeling line like crazy. 


  
Well, the lucky sucker reeled the fish in, and I netted it up for him. His first two pound bass, which put up a nice fight for being only two pounds! Nice size fish for only a half a night crawler; quite a surprise! We ran out of bait at around 8:30. 

We ended up with five crappies that day so we decided to have a good ol fish fry!


 
I beer battered those suckers and a catfish that I had in the freezer. Coupled with some Stella Artois and we had ourselves a hell of a meal on Sunday afternoon!

Well that's it for me folks.I will be out of town next weekend, so not sure if I will get any fishing in. If I do I will let you know. Until then, break that bank, folks!!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing another good day on the water, and most of all, showing your friend that fishing can lead to unexpected surprises. Good for the both of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Mel! I hope my buddy is learning that video games can't compare to the great outdoors! haha

      Delete
  2. I like Uncle Buck's fish meal. I even like fried crappie for lunch the next day when it's cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to try that! I used a bottle of beer batter that my wife got me from Snoqualmie Falls, Wa. It was pretty darn good!

      Delete
  3. Looking pretty tastey! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were pretty darn good, brother! Thanks for reading!

      Delete