Monday, July 8, 2013

4th of July and FF Day



Went fishing on the 4th with Ol Pops ( my Dad). IT was 104 degrees that day so we were in absolutely no mood for a lot of walking. So we hit spot #1 with the intention of finding some shade and vegetation and hopefully finding some panfish. My dad was also shooting for some catfish. Well, spot #1 was a complete failure except for finding shade. 

I walked a few yards out and found a spot with more shade and a small runoff dumping into the main canal (Lisbon). We had the bobbers out in the shaded part of the main canal and nothing. After a while I threw the bobber into the small feeder canal and right away it went under! Threw it in again but this time it was a quick snag. After rigging up again, I threw my line in and once again it went down but this time I pulled out a small blue gill. That kept on happening to both me and my dad but in all I only caught 2 small gills. Oh well, I avoided the skunk this time. I didn't get any pictures of them.

So this Saturday was one of two free fishing days in California. I took my buddy Luis out to explore some possible new fishing holes. I went looking for a spot I saw on google maps where there was a slough that dumps into a river. This slough was located out in the middle of nowhere.  Unfortunately google maps didn’t tell me that its on private property and that the guys who live there look a bit unfriendly. As soon as one guy saw us he started running our way which was interesting because I was already turning around. When he saw me turn around, he stopped and turned back. I guess he figured we were just trespassing on purpose. Oh well, funny times!

Anyway, we found an irrigation canal and a nice place to park so we threw in some lines there. Luis ended up catching the first kitty. A small 10 in kitty but the first catch nonetheless.  He also caught the second kitty but I caught the third, fourth and fifth. He caught the sixth and I caught the seventh and 8th. In all we caught 8 kitties, but nothing too big at all but still a good time. 


I’m pretty happy that we both caught some kitties especially  since I am still attempting to get him hooked on fishing. I think getting him into a few cats is a good solid part of the formula. I will let you know when he gets his license!

4 comments:

  1. Have to give you credit for even attempting to fish with dad at 104 degrees. Tough day for most anything I suspect. On the other hand, good to see you and your friend getting into some Catfish. Hopefully, your friend finds value in fishing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mel, yeah, old pops is more of a die hard than I am. I told him it was too hot he said, are you coming with me or not?" haha and I also hope my buddy gets into this fishing lifestyle. thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. That last one Luis has looks like a yellow bullhead. Someone told me they are not in California, but I guess they were wrong. Hopefully your friend buys a licence and joins you more often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Daniel, There are tons of yellow bullheads in the drainage canals. I told him he should get a licanse too. he agreed so hopefully he will do that soon. Thanks for reading!

      Delete