Tuesday, September 23, 2014

The End of My Summer




Two trips one fish. A soft chill in the air. An early sunset. These contributed to the realization that summer was coming to a close. As quickly as it came it went and it was a magnificent one. I went fishing more than last year and did fairly well. With the days numbered I called up my dad Last friday and decided to hit the river with him. 

We arrived at the Sacramento river at around 4. Our spot was overgrown with weeds which was a good thing because it shows it isn’t frequented often. I cast one rod out with anchovies and cast some lures with the other. Pops cast out his rod with sardines. We sat and waited with bites being few and far between. Pops drew first blood with a small striper and that ended up being the extent of the action for the day. Always good to get out on the river with pops, just wish we could have gotten into some fish. 

Sundays 49er game left me with a bitter taste in my mouth. I went fishing to get rid of it. I went to the bee hive right after the game with 10 minnows and a carton of worms. I have been waiting a long time to try minnows here again. The first time I did the fish were crazy for them. 

I didn’t want to fish the feeder stream for smaller fish; I wanted to fish the main canal hoping for some crappie for the fish fry. I was also hoping for some big bass off of the minnows. I had one take down from what appeared to be a crappie at one point. I didn’t want to go home skunked so I dipped into the feeder stream with a worm and pulled out the first and only fish of the day, a small bluegill. After that I continued fishing minnows and worms in the main canal but nothing. After a couple of hours I went home. That would be the last fish of the summer for me. 

The sun set and I took the long serene walk back to my car. I packed my gear, rolled down my window and let Lynyrd Skynyrd play a goodbye song to the summer of 2014. 


Today marks the official first day of Fall and I am pretty bummed about it. Summer is my favorite season of the year for fishing and now it is gone. Oh well, I hope for a long cold wet fall/ Winter and some floods because nor cal needs them badly.  I will be trying more to get into some salmon and as it gets colder, heading to the hills for some trout. My summer report will be up later this week. Until then, happy 1st day of fall, folks! 



Total fish : 1 bluegill

6 comments:

  1. Just because today is the first day of Fall, why should you stop fishing? I know all the good Fall/Winter spots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha I don't intend on stopping! in that case, I'm fishing with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Juan, the Fall season is my favorite to be outdoors and fishing. I just love the colors and the cool, fresh air. I feel I am blessed to experience the Fall of each year. I do wish you folks could get some rain, or, snow or something that would help your drought outlook. Anyway, keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The colors are definitely beautiful. I need to head up to the hills and fish mmore often this fall.

      Delete
  4. No worries, man. You'll have better days. I'm just glad you're able to find water to wet a line and fish. Don't let the fishing stop just because of the change of season.

    ReplyDelete