Friday, October 24, 2014

Some Updates


Lately I have been fishing about once a week and its usually at the pits. I have pit fever, I keep hoping for a big one but I’m catching tons of small ones. Still a good time but I know that for posts, it’s getting a bit redundant. I figured I would switch things up a bit and stop talking about the pits for once! These are random ideas I have been thinking about and so I put them all in one post. 
  • The fish fry – As of this moment I have yet to do my end of summer fish fry and I am well aware that we are in the middle of fall.  I really just haven’t gotten around to doing it but it is still coming and when it does, I will have pictures. 
  • Number of fish – As of this moment I am at exactly 272 fish for the year. I know I will break 300. At the beginning of the year I knew that this was going to be a good year but I honestly never thought it would be this good. Last year was much slower but I learned a lot. This year I used those skills to get after some fish. I expect to surpass the 300 fish mark this year. Since I am doing so well, this leads me to what will be my goal next year and my next bullet point…
  • A year on the fly- I need more practice on the fly, plain and simple. I have taken the words of Mel, aka the pond stalker aka the blog switcher (hahaha) to heart when he said that taking only your fly rod around forces you to practice casting and stripping and what not. I figure, what better way to improve at fly fishing then to force myself to learn more. This year I dragged my fly rods along but ended up just taking them for rides if I got success on the spin rod first. I figure if I am stripped down to just the fly rod and flies, it will force me to learn to catch more fish on the fly. With that said, I’m not going to be super strict on this.  If I go striper fishing with pops or visit a new fishing hole or set up a special trip, I’ll take my spin rod but most of the time I’ll be armed with a fly rod.
  • Salmon fishing – Salmon season is on and cracking and I have only been out once. My goal this year is to catch 5 salmon and as my buddy Sean says, salmon fishing is only going to get better as the season goes on. As of right now it should be good so I might be giving it a try next week  I have yet to catch a salmon but I know it’s coming! I’ll let you all know when I catch my first one!
That’s pretty much it for now. I'm hoping to go fishing later today, I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks to everybody for reading along.

2 comments:

  1. That feller', Mel, AKA Pond Stalker, AKA Blog Changer, he really is a barrel of laughs and full of Bull at the same time. Hope you don't lay the blame at his doorstep when you get totally "FlyFishy" 24 hours a day. Fly Tying, Building Rods, insomnia is just around the corner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha that day is coming! lol

    ReplyDelete